What are Chakras? The word ‘chakra‘ is derived from a Sanskrit word meaning ‘wheel’; but perhaps even a better translation would be spinning wheel. Chakra is actually a term which defines a number of lines meeting on a common specific point. So in our bodies we have a number of nerves crossing at various parts our body forming major and minor energy meridians which carry the energy to different parts of out body.
If you could see chakras you would be able to see each primary chakra as a spinning vortex or wheel of energy; spinning inward from the front of your body towards the center point of that chakra on the kundalini and then spinning outward from that same point from your back.
We have seven major chakras which act like the 7 gateways for pranic energies to enter our aura so that the energy may be supplied to our subtle bodies and we also have a number of minor chakras in our bodies. The chakras we are talking about are physical and metaphysical both. In the physical body, these chakras are a result of the intersection of various nerves or nadi’s and in the metaphysical terms these chakras are a result of the intersection of our nadi’s in our subtle bodies.
As discussed earlier everything that exists in this universe is just vibration so that means each chakra in our physical body & the subtle body will also have a specific vibration. So each of our chakras have a particular frequency on which they should vibrate to be in balance & harmony with all other chakras facilitating perfect health at all levels. Therefore each chakra has a particular sound, colour, fragrance, crystal which vibrate to a frequency matching to the chakra itself. So whenever a chakra is out of balance, we can tune in the chakra to the right frequency by using these tools. Each chakra needs to be properly balanced, energized, and spinning properly.
Unbalanced and Blocked Chakras is Illness
When your chakras are not vibrating or spinning properly you are unable to move your physical, emotional, and mental body onto a higher spiritual level. When we are born we can have a perfect balance or have an imbalance from the past lives we bring with our spirit. Although the human body is just a vessel and a machine it is seldom broke from manufacturer reasons and natural biological causes. Each chakra effects different parts of the body and almost all illness are caused by poor chakra health. Illness is usually for us, or those around us, to learn higher lessons. You are given intuition and hints all the time about what you should be doing and how you should be living but we often ignore the words from Spirit and our higher selves. We are too often stuck in the reality and physicality of life to listen to our inner selves. Eventually, the chakras become out of balance and since you are stuck in the reality – the chakra manifests the energy imbalance into the physical; the health of your physical body.
When you have chakra blocks you slow down the Chi, the life force, and the spiritual connection. You may feel depressed, out of touch, like you lost something, tired, unable to clearly think, or listless. You may get angry for no reason, be afraid, be unsure of yourself, lack self-confidence, be unhappy without a direct understood reason, and have a general negative outlook on life. All of these are indications that you have a problem to resolve that is chakra based.
Balanced Chakras is Happiness & Health
When Universal Love and energy flows through the chakras. It is important that you try to maintain the correct energy flow through each chakra since you could also negatively be effected by a chakra being too open. Remember that balance in each, and balance in all in comparison to one another is what you seek. When the chakras are aligned on the kundalini and balanced the energy flows freely from the root chakra to the crown chakra allowing us a grounded connection to a higher spiritual communication. Think of each chakra as a water valve and your goal is to have each on the same amount so the energy flows through the kundalini, uninhibited and constantly.
As already discussed that we all exists on 3 different levels of consciousness, so each chakra hold a physical level of reality for us, a mental & emotional level and a spiritual level of reality. On the Physical level we can see that what qualities that chakra holds in our physical body, similarly in our mental & emotional body and then the spiritual qualities.
Now we will discuss each chakra in detail , discussing the different qualities it hold on the different levels of consciousness along with it we will discuss about the different mantras, colours, fragrance, crystals which can act as tools empowering us to bring our chakras into balance & harmony.
First Chakra is called Root Chakra located at the base of Spinal cord
The Base or Root Chakra is associated with the colour red and is called Muladhara in Sanskrit. The root chakra is located at the base of the spine at the tailbone in back, and the pubic bone in front. This center holds the basic needs for survival, security and safety. The root chakra is powerfully related to our contact with the Earth Mother, providing us with the ability to be grounded into the earth plane. This is also the center of manifestation. When you are trying to make things happen in the material world, business or material possessions, the energy to succeed will come from the first chakra. If this chakra is blocked an individual may feel fearful, anxious, insecure and frustrated. Problems like obesity, anorexia nervosa, and knee troubles can occur. Root body parts include the hips, legs, lower back and sexual organs.
A man’s sexual organs are located primarily in his first chakra, so male sexual energy is usually experienced primarily as physical. A woman’s sexual organs are located primarily in her second chakra, so female sexual energy is usually experienced primarily as emotional. Both chakras are associated with sexual energy.
This chakra is the grounding force that allows us to connect to the earth energies and empower our beings. Focusing one’s attention on the colour of a red flower or juicy red apple can help bring our energetic body “down to earth” and in alignment with our physical body when we find ourselves energetically fleeting or in other words…..”spacing off.”
- Colour – red
- Sanskrit Name – Muladhara
- Physical Location – base of the spine
- Purposes – kinesthetic feelings, movement
- Spiritual Lesson – material world lessons
- Physical Dysfunctions- lower back pain, sciatica, varicose veins, rectal tumors, depression, immune related disorders
- Mental and Emotional Issues – survival, self esteem, social order, security, family
- Information Stored Inside Root Chakra – familiar beliefs, superstitions, loyalty, instincts, physical pleasure or pain, touch.
- Area of Body Governed – spinal column, kidneys, legs, feet, rectum, immune system
- Gemstones: Red Jasper, Hematite, Black tourmaline, Black onyx, Black obsidian.
- Aroma: Rosemary, Cedarwood.
- Mantra: “Lam” pronounced as “Lammm”
Affirmation: “I trust the power of earth & feel my own body”
Second Chakra is Sacral Chakra located 2 inches below Navel
The next chakra or second chakra is often referred to as the sacral or hara or Swadhisthan chakra in sanskrit. It is located two inches below the navel and is rooted into the spine. This center holds the basic needs for sexuality, creativity, intuition, and self-worth. This chakra is also about friendliness, creativity, and emotions. It governs people’s sense of self-worth, their confidence in their own creativity, and their ability to relate to others in an open and friendly way. It¹s influenced by how emotions were expressed or repressed in the family during childhood. Proper balance in this chakra means the ability to flow with emotions freely and to feel and reach out to others sexually or not. If this chakra is blocked a person may feel emotionally explosive, manipulative, obsessed with thoughts of sex or may lack energy. Physical problems may include, kidney weakness, stiff lower back, constipation, and muscle spasms. Belly body parts include sexual organs (women), kidneys, bladder, and large intestine. The main colour used with this chakra is orange.
This chakra often offers us the opportunity to lessen our “control issues” and find a balance in our lives, teaching us to recognize that acceptance and rejection are not the only options in our relationships. The process of making changes in our life stream through our personal choices is a product of second chakra energy. A well-functioning second chakra helps one to maintain a healthy yin-yang existence.
- Colour – orange
- Sanskrit Name – Swadhisthana
- Physical Location – lower abdomen to the navel
- Purposes – emotional connection
- Spiritual Lesson – creativity, manifestation. Honoring relationships, learning to “let go”
- Physical Dysfunctions- low back pain, sciatica, ob/gyn problems, pelvic pain, libido, urinary problems
- Mental and Emotional Issues – blame, guilt, money, sex, power, control, creativity, morality
- Information Stored Inside Sacral Chakra – duality, magnetism, controlling patterns, emotional feelings (joy, anger, fear)
- Area of Body Governed – sexual organs, stomach, upper intestines, liver, gallbladder, kidney, pancreas, adrenal glands, spleen, middle spine.
- Crystals – Carnelian, orange tourmaline, orange calcite.
- Aroma – Orange, tangerine, Neroli, Hibiscus.
- Mantra- “Vam” pronounced as “ Vammmm”
Affirmation: “I am letting go what I need to let go”
Third Chakra is Solar Plexus located 2 inches above the Navel
The third chakra is referred to as the Solar Plexus or Manipura chakra in sanskrit. The third chakra is the center of personal power, the place of ego , of passions, impulses, anger and strength. It is also the center for astral travel and astral influences, receptivity of spirit guides and for psychic development. When the Third Chakra is out of balance you may lack confidence, be confused, worry about what others think, feel that others are controlling your life, and may be depressed. Physical problems may include digestive difficulties, liver problems, diabetes, nervous exhaustion, and food allergies. When balanced you may feel cheerful, outgoing, have self-respect, expressive, enjoy taking on new challenges, and have a strong sense of personal power. The body parts for this chakra include the stomach, liver, gall bladder, pancreas, and small intestine.
This is the area which defines
our “self-esteem”. The personality
that develops during
puberty is housed
in this chakra….otherwise known as the “EGO”. Anyone
experiencing dysfunction of the third
chakra is having difficulty obtaining or maintaining his/her own
“personal power”. This intuitive chakra is where
we get our “gut
instincts” that signal
us to do or not to do something. Strong self-
esteem is a required for developing intuitive
- Colour – yellow
- Sanskrit Name – manipura
- Physical Location – solar plexus
- Purposes – mental understanding of emotional life
- Spiritual Lesson – acceptance of your place in the life stream. (self-love)
- Physical Dysfunctions- stomach ulcers, intestinal tumors, diabetes, pancreatitis, indigestion, anorexia/bulimia, hepatitis, cirrhosis, adrenal imbalances, arthritis, colon diseases
- Mental and Emotional Issues – self esteem, fear of rejection, oversensitivity to criticism, self-image fears, fears of our secrets being found out, indecisiveness
- Information Stored Inside Sacral Chakra – personal power, personality, consciousness of self within the universe (sense of belonging), knowing
- Area of Body Governed – upper abdomen, umbilicus to rib cage, liver, gallbladder, middle spine, spleen, kidney, adrenals, small intestines, stomach.
- Crystals – Yellow Jasper , Golden Topaz, Citrine, Yellow calcite, Golden quarts.
- Aroma – Chamomile, Lemon, Lemongrass.
- Mantra- “Ram” pronounced as “ Rummm”
Affirmation: “I express myself freely & easily with full confidence”
Fourth Chakra is Heart Chakra located in the Centre of Chest
The fourth chakra is referred to as the heart chakra also called Anahata chakra in sanskrit. It is located behind the breast bone in front and on the spine between the shoulder blades in back. This is the center for love, compassion and spirituality.
directs one¹s ability
to love themselves and others, to give
and to receive love. This is also the chakra connecting body and mind with spirit. Almost
everyone today has a hard,
hurt, or broken heart,
and it is no accident that heart disease
is the number one killer in America today. Deep heart hurts can
result in aura obstructions called heart
scars. When these
scars are released, they raise a lot of old pain, but free the heart for healing and new growth. When this chakra
is out of balance you may feel sorry for yourself, paranoid, indecisive, afraid
of letting go, afraid of getting
hurt, or unworthy of love. Physical illnesses include heart attack, high blood
pressure, insomnia, and difficult in breathing. When this
chakra is balanced you may feel compassionate, friendly, empathetic, desire
to nurture others
and see the good in everyone.
Body parts for the fourth chakra include
heart, lungs, circulatory system, shoulders, and upper back. The main colours used are pink and green.
This love center of our human energy system is often the focus in bringing about a healing. Thus, the words “Love Heals All” have great truth. Hurtful situations that can affect our emotional being are divorce or separation, grief through death, emotional abuse, abandonment, and adultery. All of these are wounding to the heart chakra. Physical illnesses brought about by heartbreak require that an emotional healing occur along with the physical healing. Learning to love yourself is a powerful first step in securing a healthy fourth chakra. The “wounded child” resides in the heart chakra.
- Colour – green, pink
- Sanskrit Name – Anahata
- Physical Location – center of chest
- Purposes – emotional empowerment
- Spiritual Lesson – forgiveness, unconditional love, letting go, trust, compassion
- Physical Disfunctions- heart conditions, asthma, lung & breast cancers, thoracic spine, pneumonia, upper back, shoulder problems
- Mental and Emotional Issues – love, compassion, confidence, inspiration, hope, despair, hate, envy, fear, jealousy, anger, generosity
- Information Stored Inside Heart Chakra – connections or “heart strings” to those whom we love
- Area of Body Governed – heart, circulatory system, blood, lungs, rib cage, diaphragm, thymus, breasts, esophagus, shoulders, arms, hands.
- Crystals – Malachite, Emerald, Rose Quartz, Rhodochrosite.
- Aroma – Rose, sandalwood.
- Mantra- “Yam” pronounced as “Yummm”
Affirmation: “I am a being of divine love radiating unconditional love I love & accept myself exactly the way I am”
Fifth Chakra is Throat Chakra located in the “V” Cavity of Throat
The fifth chakra is referred to as the Throat or the Vishuddha chakra in sanskrit. It is located in the V of the collarbone at the lower neck and is the center of communication, sound, and expression of creativity via thought , speech, and writing. The possibility for change, transformation and healing are located here. The throat is where anger is stored and finally let go of. When this chakra is out of balance you may want to hold back, feel timid, be quiet, feel weak, or can¹t express your thoughts. Physical illnesses or ailments include, hyperthyroid, skin irritations, ear infections, sore throat, inflammations, and back pain. When this chakra is balanced you may feel balanced, centered, musically or artistically inspired, and may be a good speaker. Body parts for the fifth chakra are throat, neck, teeth, ears, and thyroid gland.
is our will center.
The healthfulness of the fifth chakra
is in relation to how honestly
one expresses himself/herself. Lying violates the body
and spirit . We speak
our choices with our voices (throats). All choices
we make in our lives have
consequences on an energetic level.
Even choosing not to make a choice such as in repressing our anger (not speaking out) may manifest into laryngitis.
We have all experienced that “lump in our throats” when we are at a crossroad of not knowing how to speak the right words in any given situation, perhaps even stuffing our own emotions. A challenge of the throat chakra is to express ourselves in the most truthful manner. Also to receive and assimilate information. Seek only the truth.
- Colour – Light Blue
- Sanskrit Name – Vishuddha
- Physical Location – throat, neck region
- Purposes – learning to take responsibility for one’s own needs
- Spiritual Lesson – confession, surrender personal will over to divine will, faith, truthfulness over deceit
- Physical Dysfunctions- sore throat, mouth ulcers, scoliosis, swollen glands, thyroid dysfunctions, laryngitis, voice problems, gum or tooth problems, TMJ
- Mental and Emotional Issues – personal expression, creativity, addiction, criticism, faith, decision making (choices), will, lack of authority
- Information Stored Inside Throat Chakra – self-knowledge, truth, attitudes, hearing, taste, smell
- Area of Body Governed – throat, thyroid, trachea, neck vertebrae, mouth, teeth, gums, esophagus, parathyroid, hypothalamus
- Crystal – Aquamarine, Blue lace agate, Lapis Lazuli, Sodalite, Kyanite.
- Aroma – Peppermint, Patchuli.
- Mantra – “Ham” pronounced as “ Hummmmmm”
Affirmation: “It is now safe for me to express my feelings”
Sixth Chakra is Third Eye Chakra located in the Center of Eyebrows
The sixth chakra is referred to as the Third Eye or the Ajna or Aagya chakra in sanskrit. It is located above the physical eyes on the center of the forehead. This is the center for psychic ability, higher intuition, the energies of spirit and light. It also assists in the purification of negative tendencies and in the elimination of selfish attitudes.
Through the power of the sixth chakra, you can receive guidance, channel, and tune into your Higher Self. When this chakra is not balanced you may feel non-assertive, afraid of success, or go the opposite way and be egotistical. Physical symptoms may include headaches, blurred vision, blindness, and eyestrain. When this chakra is balanced and open you are your own master with no fear of death, are not attached to material things, may experience telepathy, astral travel, and past lives. Sixth chakra body parts include the eyes, face, brain, lymphatic and endocrine system.
is our avenue to wisdom – learning from our experiences and putting them in perspective. Our ability to separate
reality from fantasy or delusions is in connection with the healthfulness of this chakra.
Achieving the art of detachment
beyond “small mindedness” is accomplished through developing
impersonal intuitive reasoning. It is through
an open brow chakra that visual
images are received.
- Colour – Indigo
- Sanskrit Name – Ajna or Agaya
- Physical Location – center of the forehead
- Purposes – action of ideas, insight, mind development
- Spiritual Lesson – understanding, reality check point, detachment, open mind
- Physical Dysfunctions- brain tumors, strokes, blindness, deafness, seizures, learning disabilities, spinal dysfunctions, panic, depression
- Mental and Emotional Issues – fear of truth, discipline, judgement, evaluation, emotional intelligence, concept of reality, confusion
- Information Stored Inside Sacral Chakra – seeing clear picture (symbolic or literal), wisdom, intuition, mental facilities, intellect
- Area of Body Governed – brain, neurological system, eyes, ears, nose, pituitary, pineal glands.
- Crystals – Amethyst, Lapis Lazuli, Purple fluorite.
- Aroma – Lavender, Sandalwood, Frankincense.
- Mantra- “Aum”
Affirmation: “My third eye intuits inner knowledge”
Seventh Chakra is Crown Chakra located on the Top of head
The seventh chakra is referred to as the Crown chakra. It is located just behind the top of the skull. It is the center of spirituality, enlightenment, dynamic thought and energy. It allows for the inward flow of wisdom, and brings the gift of cosmic consciousness. This is also the center of connectedness with the Goddess (God), the place where life animates the physical body. The silver cord that connects the aura bodies extends from the crown. The soul comes into the body through the crown at birth and leaves from the crown at death. When this chakra is unbalanced there may be a constant sense of frustration, no spark of joy, and destructive feelings. Illnesses may include migraine headaches and depression. Balanced energy in this chakra may include the ability to open up to the Divine and total access to the unconscious and subconscious.
We use the seventh
chakra as a tool to communicate with our
spiritual nature. It is through this vortex that the life force is dispersed
from the universe into the lower 6 chakras. It has been referred to as our “GOD SOURCE” – but this
terminology might be confusing to anyone who
equates God with
religious dogma, because of this I choose to call it a spiritual connection or communicator. This chakra is often pictured
as a lotus flower opening to allow spiritual awakening
in an individual. The crown chakra could also be considered the well intuitive knowing is drawn from.
- Colour – Violet, white
- Sanskrit Name – Sahasrara
- Physical Location – Top of head
- Purposes – intuitive knowing, connection to one’s spirituality, integration of the whole
- Spiritual Lesson – spirituality, living in the NOW
- Physical Disfunctions- mystical depression, diseases of the muscular system, skeletal system and the skin, chronic exhaustion not associated with physical ailments, sensitivity to light, sound, environment
- Mental and Emotional Issues – discovery of the divine, lack of purpose, loss of meaning or identity, trust, selflessness, humanitarianism, ability to see the bigger picture in the life stream, devotion, inspiration, values, ethics
- Information Stored Inside Crown Chakra – duality, magnetism, controlling patterns, emotional feelings (joy, anger, fear)
- Area of Body Governed – top center of the head, midline above the ears
- Crystals – Clear Quartz, amethyst, Diamond, Moldavite, Labradorite.
- Aroma – Lavender, Sandalwood, Violet, Lotus, Frankincense.
- Mantra –“Mmmm” ( Humming sound) or Silence
Osho The Enlightened Mystic Has Spoken On Various Occasions About Chakras. Some of the excerpts are reproduced below.
Osho About Chakras
- Most people die from the lowest chakra, the sex center. There are seven chakras in the body from where life can go out of the body. The last is on top of the head, and unless you are enlightened life cannot go out from that chakra.
- As you move more and more into the present, inside you will come across seven lights — what Hindu yoga calls seven Chakras, Buddhist yoga calls seven lights, seven lamps. As you become more and more detached from the body, detached from possessions, uninterested in desires, your energy starts moving upwards. The same energy that is contained at the lowest center, at the sex center.
- Indian music is more concerned with sahasrar, the seventh chakra. Western music is more concerned with the sexual centre, the muladhar. If western music overpowers you, you will feel sexually aroused. If Indian music overpowers you, you will feel spiritually aroused.
- Music is a very subtle meditation. The seven notes of music are concerned with the seven chakras of the body and each chakra has its own note. If you concentrate on that chakra, you will start hearing that note arising within your body. The second chakra has two notes, the third, three. One is important, the other two are just part of it but create a harmony. It goes on becoming a greater harmony, rising higher with each chakra. On the seventh chakra it is an orchestra. Each chakra has its own form, its own music, its own taste, its own smell. The deeper you move inside yourself, the more you find the whole world, because if it is not within you, you cannot see it without either. Something is needed to correspond.
- All this so-called esoteric knowledge about chakras, energy fields, kundalini, astral bodies, is dangerous as knowledge. As experience it is a totally different thing. Don’t acquire it as knowledge. If it is needed for your spiritual growth, it will come to you in its right time, and then it will be an experience. And if you have an acquired knowledge, borrowed knowledge, it is going to be a hindrance.
- For example, Hindu yoga believes in seven chakras, Jaina scriptures mention nine chakras. And Buddhist scriptures say that there are dozens of chakras, that these are only the important ones which have been chosen by different schools. They don’t give any fixed number. Acquired knowledge will be confusing: how many chakras? And what are you going to do with that knowledge, whether there are seven or nine or dozens? Your knowledge is not going to help; it can only hinder.
- Energy fields, chakras and all esoteric things should be experienced. And keep your mind clean of all knowledge, so that you don’t have any expectations; wherever the experience happens, you are ready to accept it.
- It happens exactly like that. There are seven chakras but they don’t exist in the same Places for all people. And there are experiences but they never happen in the same way to two persons — they happen very, very differently. So there is no need to know the physiology of the kundalini, and there is no need to know the chakras, and there is no need to know what happens finally — because if you know it you will start hypnotizing yourself, and by and by you will start getting into the ritual. And you will create a kind of dream around you. And when there are many people doing the same thing, you tend to fall into the crowd-mind. You start swaying with the crowd.
- Once awareness has made the third eye function, once awareness has moved in the third eye and the third eye starts functioning, becomes alive… That’s why Hindus call it a CHAKRA. CHAKRA means a wheel. The wheel needs energy; once the energy comes in, the wheel starts moving. By ‘movement’ is meant that it starts functioning. Then a great revolution happens in your being: immediately the lower heart bows down to the higher heart.
- The muladhar chakra has to be relaxed — relaxed from constipation, relaxed from diarrhea. The muladhar chakra has to function at the optimum, one hundred percent, then energy starts moving.
- Energy is needed, and energy is always beautiful. If you don’t know how to use it, it becomes ugly; then it goes on running astray. The energy has to go higher. Sex is the lowest center of your being — but that is not all: you have seven centers of your being. As the energy moves upwards, if you know the key how to release it upwards, as it moves from one center to another, you feel so many transformations. When the energy comes to the heart chakra, to the center of the heart, you become so full of love you become love. When the energy comes to the third-eye center you become consciousness, awareness. When the energy comes to the last chakra, sahasrar, you bloom, you flower, your tree of life has come to a fulfillment: you become a Buddha. But the energy is the same. Don’t condemn; don’t suppress. Transform. Be more understanding, alert; only then will you be able to enter in totality.
- Each chakra has its own colours, so when you concentrate on a certain chakra you will have certain colours in your dreams and visions. As you move upwards they change. In fact in yoga psychology, a person’s dreams, fantasies, visions, can indicate where his energy is exactly, at what centre.
- Sometimes you are deluded by the body. And somehow, if you manage to go beyond the body, you are deluded by the mind, which is more of a deluder. The first three chakras belong to the body. The next three chakras belong to the mind. And the seventh chakra is beyond both. Ordinarily, the people who indulge remain in the first three lower chakras – they hang there. Those first three chakras: MULADHAR, SWADHISTAN and MANIPURA are earth-bound. They are earthly chakras, they are attracted by gravitation, they are pulled downwards. The next three chakras: ANAHATA, VISUDDHA and AJNA are sky-bound. Gravitation does not affect them. They are under another law called levitation; they are pulled upwards. These three consist of the mind. The body is pulled downwards, mind is pulled upwards. But you are neither. You are the seventh, which is neither body nor mind. So the people who indulge live in the first three chakras. And the people who repress the first three chakras start living in the second three chakras. But they create a dream-world.
- The center around which one’s life has revolved is the center from where he will depart. The place where he dwelt thewhole life will be the place from where he will depart. Therefore, a yogi can leave from the agya chakra, and a lover from his heart chakra. The life energy of an enlightened man would leave from the sahasrar, the seventh chakra — his skull will break open as he departs from there.
- When the energy moves upward you become more and more silent. Silence is the by-product of energy moving upward and tension is the by-product of energy moving downward. You will be more and more in anxiety when energy moves down; you will be more and more silent, quiet, calm and cool as energy moves upward and inward. And these words downward and outward are synonymous, and inward and upward are synonymous. And when you have become silent, that energy is moving like a flood, it is passing through all the chakras, all the centers. And when it passes through all the chakras, it cleanses them, it purifies them, it makes them dynamic, alive, and the flood goes upward, upward to the last chakra.
- Sex is the first chakra, the first center, the lowest — and we exist at the lowest. That is why we know life only at its minimum. When the energy flows upward and reaches to the last chakra, to the SAHASRAR, energy is at its maximum, life is at its maximum. Then you feel as if the whole cosmos has become silent: not even a single sound is there. Everything becomes absolutely silent when the energy comes to the last chakra. You know the first chakra; it will be easy to understand through that. When the energy comes to the sex center, you become absolutely tense. The whole body is feverish, your every cell is in a fever. Your temperature goes high, your blood pressure goes high, your breathing becomes mad. Your whole body is in a temporary delirium — at the lowest. Quite the opposite is the case at the last chakra. Your whole body becomes so cool, so silent, as if it has disappeared. You cannot feel it. You have become bodiless. And when you are silent the whole existence is silent because the existence is nothing but a mirror: it reflects you. In thousands and thousands of mirrors, it reflects you. Then you are silent the whole existence has become silent.
- There are seven chakras, and the anahata is just in the middle; three below it, three above it. The three below are muladhar, swadhisthan and manipur. Those three belong to an extrovert personality. In the west, the majority lives through those three chakras. And now in the east also, the majority is moving towards the western attitude of life. These three chakras are very easily available. They have a certain given function; you need not work much on them.
- Without them, life will become impossible. They are survival measures, so nature has not given you a choice between them. From the moment you are born, those three chakras start functioning. They go on functioning until you die. The whole life is covered by those three chakras, and the extrovert person never comes to know that there is anything higher than these. Sex, money, power, prestige, respectability, name, fame — they all belong to those three chakras.
- And the centre of all those chakras is sex. People seek money in order to seek sex. People seek fame and power and prestige in order to seek sex. Sex remains the centre of the lower three chakras. Sex remains the centre of the extrovert personality. His whole mind revolves around sex.
- Above the anahata, the heart, there are three chakras: visudha, the fourth centre, then ajna, between the two eyes, the third eye centre, and sahasrar, the last centre, the centre of samadhi, of ultimate unfoldment.
- Between these two is the heart. Between the introvert and the extrovert, the heart functions as a door, it is a bridge. Just as sex is the centre of the extrovert mind, prayer — or call it meditation — is the centre of the introvert mind. But to call it prayer is more relevant. Between these two — when a person is just in the middle, on the fourth chakra, at the door — love happens. Love is between sex and prayer.